Saturday, October 12, 2013

Navarathiri 2013





I have restarted the blog with Navarathiri which is my favorite time of the year. I enjoy the visits to & from my friends, catching up on our own activities. This Navarathiri post is dedicated to my late father, Shri K. S. Sahasranaman who also enjoyed this festival, my wife & children and the persons who have who have kept the Golu tradition alive (wherever they are on this blessed planet).

My favorite time of the year. Navarathi (meaning 9 nights in Sanskrit) is celebrated with a Golu.  The Golu is a display of dolls on a step structure. The number of steps should be odd. The steps set up using different materials. A quick search in the Internet shows Golu steps made from a combination of small tables, old thick books to a series of different box sizes. Let me say, it is only limited by ones imagination. 

My Golu steps are in the form of metal stand which needs to be assembled for the festival. The stand is then disassembled for easy storage. The stand is more than 20 years old. The series of photographs will show assembly sequence.
Pic 1 - The pieces of the Golu steps

Pic 2 - The assembled steps
Pic 3 - Work in progress
Pic 4 - Finished Product
Pic 5 - At the left of the Golu, items purchased on my trips
Pic 6 - The Golu lamp tied with a saree.


6 comments:

  1. Beautiful Golu...well done Raj and Jaya. Regards, Prasad and Saras

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Prasad & Saras for visiting my blog.
      RAJ

      Delete
  2. very beautiful Golu as usual..you got the padi from India is it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Sunder, Thanks for visiting my blog. The padi has been in our home for the past 25 years. It is made out of shelfing metal as you would see in the first picture. RAJ

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow you were born in Malaysia and yet you are holding on to such a beautiful tradition, in the days when people dont care about any such thing. Lovely padis and I love the stand in front. You can also give a nice saree for a background and it will look very rich and elegant. I love the SHiva Parvathy idol thats there. Love t he designs.

    Shobha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shoba for visiting and for the encouraging words. I have to say that it is a dying tradition with the next generation too busy with their work. Many of my family friends have given up as they got too old to do the heavy work with little help from their busy children.

      The Shiva-Parvathy doll was presented to me by one mami who fell into the above category. P.S. I enjoy your blog very much. Another inspiration is all the NRIs who still continue many traditions (as seen from their blogs.

      Warmest wishes, RAJ

      Delete